"You can't go back home to your family, back home to your childhood, back home to romantic love, back home to a young man's dreams of glory and of fame, back home to exile, to escape to Europe and some foreign land, back home to lyricism, to singing just for singing's sake, back home to aestheticism, to one's youthful idea of 'the artist' and the all-sufficiency of 'art' and 'beauty' and 'love,' back home to the ivory tower, back home to places in the country, to the cottage in Bermude, away from all the strife and conflict of the world, back home to the father you have lost and have been looking for, back home to someone who can help you, save you, ease the burden for you, back home to the old forms and systems of things which once seemed everlasting but which are changing all the time--back home to the escapes of Time and Memory."

- Thomas Wolfe
You Can't Go Home Again

Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Salsa Brava

Before I left for my trip, I spent a night looking online and researching different places to stay, eat at and check out. I stumbled upon Salsa Brava in Flagstaff, a Mexican restaurant featured on Guy Fiore's show on the Food Network "Diners, Dives and Drive-Ins." The restaurant got great reviews on Yelp and was also mentioned on the Travel Channel website, so I decided I would check it out my first night in Flagstaff. As all of you know, though, I pulled into Flagstaff last night at around 10:45. Salsa Brava closes at 9:00, so I thought I'd have to pass it up. Mother Nature intervened, however, and I was able to enjoy a nice meal tonight.

I have a weakness for fish tacos. When I ordered I asked the waitress for her recommendation between those or the Cajun shrimp tacos and she preferred the latter. The service all-around was friendly, efficient and very helpful. I think my designated waiter wasn't available when I walked in, but the aforementioned waitress quickly and calmly took my order and then my assigned waiter apologized profusely for having kept me waiting. They gave me a generous helping of corn chips (which were a little overfried--too hard, even though I am sure they were fresh) and small ramikins for the salsa bar, which, I think, in and of itself is a reason to visit Salsa Brava. The pico de gallo was a perfect mix of tomatoes, onions, cilantro and jalapeno peppers; the mild version still had tons of flavor. The fire-roasted chipotle salsa was perfection: smoky, piquant, and not too spicy. The tomatillo sauce also good. I ordered a strawberry margarita, too, which was on special for $4 all night.


My food came within fifteen minutes. It looked great: black beans sprinkled with queso fresca, Spanish rice, and delish-looking shrimp tacos! Sadly, the black beans and rice were a little bland; they could have used a little more seasoning, or maybe it was because my tongue was still exploding from all the salsas I just sampled. The shrimp tacos were great, though: plump little shrimps glazed with cajun spices on a crisp bed of shredded cabbage, just enough mild pico de gallo, melted cheese and a generous brushing of jalapeno tartar sauce. Good stuff. I'm stuffed!

Although the food was a little overpriced ($9.50 for a plate I could probably find in LA for $5 or $6), it was worth it. My bill still came under $15 for dinner and the friendly service certainly made it worth the visit. Anyway, it was nice to feel like I was in gringo Mexico for a minute as the snow continues to fall in Flagstaff.

1 comment: